Thursday 15 December 2011

Literature- Charles Dickens.

Well, I've started this project, based around the books i love.
so my first image that i've completed was based around a quote from Charles Dickens': Great Expectations...

"heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the binding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts"

I came up with a few ideas, mainly based around the idea of someone lying in the dust when its raining, mingling with the dirt and crying, completely unashamed. 
however the day i chose to do the shoot, was freeeezing, so i didnt really want my poor friend outside rolling around in the cold AND the rain.
so I did what any photographer would do and rethought my idea.

so plan be was the shower!
I started off with the flash going off so that the water droplets were defined and obvious..
but that was unflattering for joanna, so i made use of the wonderful overhead light in their shower and tested out all the lighting doodars. 

I ended with this image, which i am very happy with-- although there is not the symbolism of the rain, there is the more powerful symbolism of the tears,
two gentle tears,
almost hidden amongst the wet and washed out face.
the light from above creates a wonderfully creepy atmosphere, highlighting the tears and her face....



just a little out-take of my wonderful friend finishing up in the shower...
it got nice and steamy in the end which helped create all sorts of serendipities... 

(:

No comments:

Post a Comment